Thursday, July 26, 2012

Non Compass Mentis


This is a term I coined to describe my friend Judy's driving back in the days when I threw my Latin education around a little more liberally. A lay translation is "no sense of direction." A more literal translation is there is no compass in the mind. I am similarly afflicted. I must report honestly that this trip has been full of "non compass mentis" moments. That means missed turns, wrong turns, U-turns, overshot and undershot exits.  Even technology fails if you plug Davis Road in Falmouth into the GPS when you mean Ben Davis Road in East Falmouth. My Garmin's annoying "Nuvi" woman refused to take the entry. At least she didn't say "Re-Kal-Ku-Lating" in that annoyed tone. She simply gave up on me. Fortunately my travel companion is unflappable and the world's most patient person. She has been a kind and faithful co-pilot and I am glad to have her in the cockpit.

No comments:

Post a Comment