Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Eating reds and blues...in my coffee too

On the menu: lobster, lobster and more lobster
We spent our last night with Joe at Nunan's Lobster Hut in Cape Porpoise where the menu consists of one small lobster; two small lobsters; one large lobster; two large lobsters; lobster stew and lobster salad. Decor-lobster buoys up above; lobster bibs down below. I bibbed up for the twin special, which strictly prohibits sharing but we dodged the lob cop and I slipped a couple of claws to the boys.  

The next morning after some blueberry coffee, which is only palatable in Maine, we bid adieu to our Traipser only to see him return when he realized that he forgot his laptop. Despite his concerns about guests and fish, we insisted he stay a third night; we were having fish anyway.

We have exhausted the house supply of watchable DVD’s-Our Man Flint, which Darr said would explain Austin Powers and Rainman which I said would explain "I am an excellent driver."

We located the local tomatoes leading to a conversation in which we said they just need a little salt and “that’s all,” which we realized is “that sal” in French and Spanish.  
Yesterday we went to the Rachel Carson’s National Wildlife Preserve where we had to explain to the boys that Rachel is largely responsible for the environmental movement of today. Too bad she died in 1964 and never got to see Al Gore’s movie.  We found a driving range where Franky could practice his driving without a permit.  
These tide charts are amazing, and much more reliable than bus schedules. We got up today for the morning low tide-10:18 a.m. achievable even in a house of big sleepers. The shape of the beach completely changes at low tide and allows you to walk to what appear to be distant land masses during high tide.
Today I was wearing my “I am not a tourist. I live here” t-shirt on the beach which made people smile. If only they had seen the back they would have realized it is a promotion for Washingtonian magazine. But as my mother once wisely told me: "They can’t see you coming and going, dear.”
Off to the Ladies Round Robin to play my favorite sport with women who I imagine will be in good spirits if not good sports.

The glory of Goose Rocks Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment