Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day two on the Vineyard

Just another day in paradise at the Farmhouse


Yesterday I did my morning run with intention--the intention of checking out the nearby yoga studio, and then a nice surprise, dropping in at the West Tisbury Free Library to learn that I can borrow DVDs.

Forgive me for my rant on the rich yesterday, I had forgotten the many lovely hours spent on my cousin's private beach in New London, CT. Jane's comment reminded me. Because I am on vacation, I was too lazy to do the research on what states let you own the beach and which don't. Plus my antique silver collection includes fish knives and pickle forks, so who am I to talk?

Vineyard Sounds' walk-around in Oak Bluffs


We headed to Oak Bluffs to watch the Vineyard Sound do a noon-time walk-around, where they burst into song on street corners to promote that night's show. Oak Bluffs is the home of gingerbread house architecture and as we drove deep into the development, Franky felt as if he were in Candyland and was getting a little creeped out.

Peter then led us to Skinny's Fat Sandwiches where we got take-outs and ate them at the lovely Oak Bluffs' park.

After lunch at Oak Bluffs

By the time we dropped Peter off, it was time for Franky and me to get back to the serious work of  tanning and blonding, so we got a couple of hours in at Lambert's Cove, now suitably stickered to be allowed entrance.

Raison d'etre--We are here to see Vineyard Sound and last night we got to see them perform at the Oak Bluffs United Methodist church. They are quite hilarious, they run down the church aisle screaming and onto stage barefoot, and then they do an hour-long show that is a mixture of beautifully sung a Capella songs such as Midnight Train and She Must be Somebody's Baby (introduced wryly as "a song about a missing infant") combined with college boy ironic humor. They self introduce, they hype their schwag, they do elaborate choreographed numbers including one using one of the smaller members as a plank representing a limbo stick.  A summer job that is nonpareil.

Vineyard Sound performing in Oak Bluffs

 

No comments:

Post a Comment