Sunday, October 13, 2013

Furlogue Day 13-Well,This Was Not Supposed to Happen

Luckily, it's my color


I had been sticking to my "exercise everyday" part of the furlough program. I even agreed to try some classes at my friend's new fitness club. Friday I went with her to a Zumba class, and that went fine, it's just getting cardio in a different way, and since we have had days of rain I can't run anyway.

Saturday morning I agreed to meet my friend for a spinning class. I have never spun before. I've never been keen on cycling, except for the fact that it is the only exercise you can do sitting down. But again, what harm could it do to try another round of guaranteed indoor cardio?

Halfway through class we were told to stand on our bikes and I did but my foot slipped out of the pedal clip and the pedal continued to spin around very fast, making a big gouge into my shin. Once I realized I was bleeding profusely, I left the class and the staff was very solicitous but agreed that I needed to go to the hospital for stitches.

My husband came to get me and drove to Suburban Hospital ER. There was a soothing volunteer who just shook her head when I arrived and said "It's always you women who exercise." I had just been there in May for the broken nose--from tennis, so maybe she has a point.

But a spinning class accident? Never seen one before. Or so claimed all the medical staff I saw. From RN's to ER Techs there was great laughter. Glad I was able to bring some levity into their day.

Finally the Physician's Assistant came to stitch me up. She was lovely and  we talked talked tennis and carrying heavy purses and raising teens. Then she said I needed to lay off exercise for the next 10 days. What?!

"No running?"
"No."
"Not even yoga?"
"No."
"How about mat Pilates?"
"No. You can sit."
"And?"
"And sit."

Sitting out 10 days of furlough, I thought, I might as well be wor..., I mean writing.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jesus Margo. Maybe you were overdoing it just a bit, Last spring I tookl a Zumba class with a wonky ankle, of course I sprained it and couldn't even walk for a week, then several months of no cardio.

    We learn the hard way. Bet you're watching football today tho....maybe you can get out of cooking dinner?

    xo J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess Congress found out you needed an activity -- it's back to work you go... I've enjoyed the Furlough Blog entries!

    ReplyDelete